Poplar and fast growing trees research group
Poplar & Fast Growing Trees Research Group organized in 1987 to carry out basic and applied research in various aspects like many other countries, Including:
– Studies on the conservation of poplar and willows genetic recourses.
– Identification of natural sites of poplar and willows in Iran.
– Genetic improvement of poplar trees by using hybridization.
– Agroforestry research such as combining poplar cultivation system and agriculture (Intercropping) and Utilization of poplar biomass as fodder.
– Comparison of different poplar clones at different geographical conditions for introduction of appropriate clones.
– Determination of appropriate poplar clones in short rotation systems.
– Production of poplar, by using tissue culture technique.
– Collection and Identification of willow species.
– Genetic diversity and Identity of poplar clones using molecular markers such as RAPD & SSR.
The group has required experts and facilities to carry out numerous projects, performing a great number of applied projects during a period of its life. The group has achieved remarkable successes.
The research on Populus species carried out in 16 Stations of 3 different climatic and edaphic parts of Iran.
۱- Populus caspica growing area, these trees are distributed naturally in low altitude area in north regions of Iran.
۲- Populus alba and Populus nigra growing area in different part of Iran.
۳- Populus euphratica growing area distributed naturally in vast regions. But the largest area is located along the margins of the large rivers in Khuzistan province.
However, Poplar and Fast Growing Trees Research Group is working on natural and artificial plantations to promote quantitative and qualitative characteristics of wood in different ecological regions.
۱٫ Popular Research Group
۲٫ Salix Research Group
۳٫ Other Soft Wood Fast-growing Trees Research Group
Achievements of Poplar & Fast Growing Trees Research Group
• Introduction of high production poplar clones in different geographical conditions of Iran for cultivating in vast area.
• Introduction of poplar clones with high production of dry wood matter per hectare per year in 2, 3 and 4 years short rotation systems.
• Identification of poplar clones by using molecular markers such as RAPD and SSR.
• Identification of poplar clones by using morphological attributes.
• Investigation of poplar phenology were grouped the poplar clones based on living activities periods. Regarding the matter, poplar clones with short growth period are suitable for cold regions and clones with longer growth period are suitable for planting in the warmer regions of Iran.
• To provide new feed resources for animals, productivity of poplar clones were evaluated for one- year- old seedlings. Estimation of biomass yield (leaf and edible branch) showed that the amount of poplar biomass production was acceptable. As well as quality of the biomass was acceptable.
• Successful experiments of hedgerow intercropping of poplar with alfalfa showed that some treatments can be producing a large amount of wood and alfalfa.
All results of achievements published at different related journals.
اخبار و تازه ها